I hope you had a wonderful weekend! This week, we will begin differentiated homework in second grade. This means that each student in our class will still have the same expectation of homework (1 page of math and 1 page of language arts–reading comprehension this week), but the pages will look different.
In math this week, we are focusing on the following skills:
- Different ways to write numbers
- Different names for numbers
- Problem-solving with tens and ones
- Counting patterns up to 100
In grammar this week, we are focusing on the following skills (and this work will be done in Centers):
- More practice with sorting nouns
- More practice with common nouns and proper nouns
- Alphabetical order
In writing this week, we are focusing on the following:
- The elements of a complete sentence (subject & predicate)
I am looking forward to a great week!
Good Morning Families,
Happy Tuesday! Below are a few announcements for this week.
- HOMEWORK: Second grade sent home our first homework packet for the 2016-2017 school year! Remember, scholars are expected to complete a few pages of homework each night, Monday through Thursday. Scholars will earn Dojo points for work that is completed each night (and quickly checked in class) and teachers will collect the entire Homework Packet on Friday mornings so that we can enter points in our grade book. Please make sure your child is keeping their weekly homework packet in the front pocket of his/her binder for Miss McWoodson’s class! (I ordered binders for our entire class, but they have not come in yet! Don’t worry if your scholar does not yet have a binder, but if they do have a binder, they may use this as their School/Home Binder, which means they will take this binder home each night and bring it to school each day.)
- PARENT SURVEYS: Please remember to turn in your completed Parent Survey to me, anytime this week! If you have not picked one up from me yet, please remember to grab one near the sign-out binder when you drop off or pick up your scholar from our classroom.
- ART: I stayed late after school yesterday to hang our first abstract art pieces! For last week’s Art Day Wednesday, we created “Abstract Self Portraits” using torn construction paper and warm or cold colors to illustrate our faces! Names are on the back of these pieces, so please ask your scholar which piece is theirs (or see if you can recognize them!).
Have a great week!