Happy New Year! Welcome back to school!
Though we had a long, rainy day, we took some time to gain some inspiration from Kid President (see video below) and set goals for ourselves for 2017. Let’s make it a great year!
Good Morning Families,
Happy Tuesday! Below are a few announcements for this week.
- HOMEWORK: Second grade sent home our first homework packet for the 2016-2017 school year! Remember, scholars are expected to complete a few pages of homework each night, Monday through Thursday. Scholars will earn Dojo points for work that is completed each night (and quickly checked in class) and teachers will collect the entire Homework Packet on Friday mornings so that we can enter points in our grade book. Please make sure your child is keeping their weekly homework packet in the front pocket of his/her binder for Miss McWoodson’s class! (I ordered binders for our entire class, but they have not come in yet! Don’t worry if your scholar does not yet have a binder, but if they do have a binder, they may use this as their School/Home Binder, which means they will take this binder home each night and bring it to school each day.)
- PARENT SURVEYS: Please remember to turn in your completed Parent Survey to me, anytime this week! If you have not picked one up from me yet, please remember to grab one near the sign-out binder when you drop off or pick up your scholar from our classroom.
- ART: I stayed late after school yesterday to hang our first abstract art pieces! For last week’s Art Day Wednesday, we created “Abstract Self Portraits” using torn construction paper and warm or cold colors to illustrate our faces! Names are on the back of these pieces, so please ask your scholar which piece is theirs (or see if you can recognize them!).
Have a great week!
I hope you and your children are settling back into the routine of school nicely. One important piece of information I will generally post on Mondays (and in our Weekly Newsletter) is the tests and quizzes for the week!
This week on Friday, we will have the following tests and quizzes:
- English Language Arts Test (reading comprehension, phonics, & vocabulary)
- Spelling Test (12 words; find them typed in our child’s Take Home Binder and also posted here)
- Target Vocabulary Quiz (the 8 words that your child writes each morning as part of Morning Seatwork; also on the Spelling List posted here and in their Take Home Binder; students should be generally familiar with the definitions of these words-we have been discussing them each day in class and they are in this week’s story)
Also on Friday of this week:
- Share Day — Students have the option to bring a small stuffed animal or toy from home to share during Morning Meeting. They should not bring anything that they are afraid might get lost or ruined.
- Student Store — Students who have earned at least 25 cents will be able to shop at the student store or “trade out” their money (e.g., trade 5 pennies for 1 nickel) if they would like to save for a future Student Store day
This week as a class, we are working to make our Study Hall time more productive and less chatty. My goal is to have most of the children complete their “Must Do” work by the end of Study Hall each day. Students who want additional practice may always work on the “Should Do” options with parents at home.
Have a great evening!
Dear Second Grade Families,
I am so excited to work with you and your children for the rest of the 2015-2016 school year! I feel fortunate to have been selected to be your child’s teacher and to be part of the staff at William Lee College Prep.
For the rest of the year, you can check this area for daily blog posts from me. I plan to cross-post whatever I post here to our Class Dojo page as well. It is my pleasure to help keep you informed about what’s going on in our classroom so that we can work together to have a great year!
Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving Break. I look forward to seeing you in one week, bright and early at 7:30 am!